Sunday, July 22, 2018

Does Scott Alexander Read My Blog?

I had written these two posts a few weeks ago. Then Scott Alexander wrote a post last week with a nearly identical theme. Scott's post is longer than mine and covers a lot more ground, but is built on the same theme. It's kind of eerie. It's not like this was something from the news cycle that we both decided to comment on.

I'm sure it's a coincidence, actually, because I have this feeling all the time. I get it with other bloggers I follow (Bryan Caplan, Scott Sumner, David Henderson). Maybe it's an over-active pattern-matching routine in my head. Or maybe I'm actually taking a cue from them. I'm sure Scott Alexander hears from the same kinds of people I do on the "personal responsibility/laziness" question. So actually, maybe it's no coincidence he has something to say in response to these people.

4 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I first discovered this blog via a link from SlateStarCodex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it in the comments? That might have been me too.

      Delete
    2. I had posted to this piece last year some time in an SSC open thread, and Scott re-posted in one of his link roundups: http://grokinfullness.blogspot.com/2017/09/debunking-standard-narrative-on-opioid.html

      I picked up a few new readers then, and the majority of my viewer volume is from that one post. So I'm guessing that's the connection.

      Delete
  2. For what is worth, I've told Scott to read your blog. Specifically when you have pushed back on his ideas.

    ReplyDelete