Sunday, June 28, 2020

A Hypothetical Dialogue

Person 1: Social phenomenon X is the cause of social phenomenon Y.

Person 2: Actually, X isn’t the cause of Y.

Person 1: What!? Are you saying X doesn’t exist?

Person 2: No! I’m just saying X isn’t the cause of Y. Do you see how that's a different claim? X can still exist, and it can even be the cause of *other* problems without specifically causing Y.

Person 1: Oh, yeah! It’s obvious now. Thank you for clarifying! (high-fives) But wait a minute, are you saying that Y isn’t a problem?

Person 2: No, certainly not. I’m saying that X doesn’t cause Y. Check the transcript (because this is a hypothetical conversation and exists only in text form). See?

Person 1: Oh, yeah, that’s very different from the thing I was accusing you of saying. I was about to regale you with examples of Y happening and insinuate that you don’t care. Given what you’re *actually* saying, I realize that would have been silly.

Person 2: Of course, I *do* care. Y is a serious problem. And if we misdiagnose the cause, we will apply the wrong solution and leave the problem tragically unsolved. Or, supposing Y is caused only 10% by X and 90% by other factors, addressing only X will leave 90% of the problem in place. We shouldn't fixate on one single cause of a social problem, just because it is the most emotionally salient of several contributing causes. 

Person 1: That is very thoughtful, actually. I *still* think X causes Y, but I see how you aren't the worst kind of person. I won't call you out on social media in a manner that will destroy your career and make you fear for your family's safety.

Person 2: Thanks! (high-fives again)
________________

I woke up in a cold sweat after this terrifying nightmare of an intolerant world, and everything was back to normal. Thank goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment